Postdoctoral Researcher for Planetary Science Group at Curtin University
Deadline: March 15, 2018
A 3-year post-doctoral research position to study the chronology of Mars using automated crater counting methods working with Assoc. Prof. Gretchen Benedix is available in the Planetary Science Group at Curtin University (Perth, Australia).
Integrating image processing, high performance computing, geochemical and geochronological studies, this project aims to determine a detailed and accurate geologic timescale for Mars. The project aims to apply novel automated feature recognition techniques to high resolution space-craft derived images of the surface of Mars. Combining this with formation ages of Martian meteorites, the anticipated goal of the project is to define an absolute chronology for Mars. A more complete timescale will provide context for the geologic processes that affected Mars and may help to better understand the past habitability of the planet. The aim of this research is to combine two geochronology datasets – crater counting and new radiometric ages – in an innovative, multi-disciplinary way.
Applicant must have a PhD in planetary geology, geophysics, or related field. Experience studying and interpreting Mars surface geology via image processing or machine learning highly desired. Experience with mineralogy/petrology of Martian rocks is also a plus.
- May 24, 2018 - NASA Exobiology Proposals (ROSES 2018)
- May 31, 2018 - Postdoc Position: Physics and Chemistry of Outer Planetary (Europa), Ice Analogs, JPL
- May 31, 2018 - Postdoc Position: Isotope Analysis Instrument- Origin and Distribution of Water in the Solar System, JPL
- May 31, 2018 - Early Career Research Associate, Cornell Center for Astrophysics and Planetary Science, Cornell University
- June 01, 2018 - Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences 2017 (ROSES–2017)
- June 01, 2018 - GSA Planetary Geology Division Junior Student Advisory Member
- June 22, 2018 - ROSES-18 Amendment 13: C.23 ICEE 2 Step-1 Proposals
- August 01, 2018 - AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with Science
- August 24, 2018 - ROSES-18 Amendment 13: C.23 ICEE 2 Step-2 Proposals
- September 30, 2018 - HST Observations to Detect Plumes/Outgassing from Europa
- October 30, 2018 - Postdoctoral Researcher at Southwest Research Institute (OSIRIS-REx)