Postdoctoral Researcher for Planetary Science Group at Curtin University
Deadline: March 15, 2018
A 3-year post-doctoral research position to study the chronology of Mars using automated crater counting methods working with Assoc. Prof. Gretchen Benedix is available in the Planetary Science Group at Curtin University (Perth, Australia).
Integrating image processing, high performance computing, geochemical and geochronological studies, this project aims to determine a detailed and accurate geologic timescale for Mars. The project aims to apply novel automated feature recognition techniques to high resolution space-craft derived images of the surface of Mars. Combining this with formation ages of Martian meteorites, the anticipated goal of the project is to define an absolute chronology for Mars. A more complete timescale will provide context for the geologic processes that affected Mars and may help to better understand the past habitability of the planet. The aim of this research is to combine two geochronology datasets – crater counting and new radiometric ages – in an innovative, multi-disciplinary way.
Applicant must have a PhD in planetary geology, geophysics, or related field. Experience studying and interpreting Mars surface geology via image processing or machine learning highly desired. Experience with mineralogy/petrology of Martian rocks is also a plus.
- August 20, 2018 - Outer Plants Assessment Group (OPAG) Early Career Travel Grant
- August 24, 2018 - ROSES-18 Amendment 21: New opportunity in Mars 2020 Returned Sample Science Participating Scientist Program
- August 24, 2018 - ROSES-18 Amendment 13: C.23 ICEE 2 Step-2 Proposals
- August 31, 2018 - Postdoctoral Researcher in Martian Meteorites
- August 31, 2018 - SAGANet.org Astrobiology Expert Call
- August 31, 2018 - Intership Position for Undergraduate Students: Psyche Inspired program
- September 11, 2018 - Simons Collaboration on the Origins of Life (SCOL) 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowships
- September 30, 2018 - HST Observations to Detect Plumes/Outgassing from Europa
- October 01, 2018 - ESA Research Fellowships in Space Science
- October 30, 2018 - Postdoctoral Researcher at Southwest Research Institute (OSIRIS-REx)
- November 01, 2018 - National Air and Space Museum Postdoctoral Earth and Planetary Sciences Fellowship