NAS White Papers on the Exoplanet Science Strategy
Deadline: March 09, 2018
The deadline for NAS White Papers on the Exoplanet Science Strategy is March 9th, 2018.
In preparation for and as an input to the upcoming decadal surveys in astronomy and astrophysics and planetary science, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine will appoint an ad hoc committee to perform a study with the following objectives:
- Survey the status of the field of exoplanet science, including the use of current and planned facilities such as Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite, the James Webb Space Telescope, the Wide Field InfraRed Survey Telescope, and any other telescope, spacecraft, or instrument, as appropriate;
- Recommend an Exoplanet Science Strategy that outlines the key scientific questions for exoplanet science and research and related near-, medium-, and far-term measurement and technology goals. The Strategy will include the search for life in the universe as well as cross-discipline opportunities in Earth science, astrophysics, heliophysics, and planetary science.
- Discuss which of the key goals of the committee’s Strategy could be addressed via current decadal survey recommended priority activities and also identify opportunities for coordination with international partners, commercial partners, and not-for-profit partners;
In the course of conducting this study, the committee will consider and regularly consult with the concurrent study “State of the Science of Astrobiology,” in the area of assessing habitability, searching for signs of life, and other relevant areas of scientific overlap . Also the committee will not revisit or redefine the scientific priorities or mission recommendations from previous decadal surveys.
To help organize and support the exoplanet community’s response to this call, the ExoPAG EC is providing a publicly-accessible Google Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FAeUp7dssRxy3jXO20tGzH4xp0zPZ76Yg3_6pkqt75I/edit#gid=0) where community members can voluntarily provide information on the white papers they are leading, solicit community coauthorship, and/or offer their support for papers being led by others. We encourage those using the spreadsheet to include keywords, to allow others to more easily search for paper activities in their scientific areas of interest. If a lead author has indicated that they are looking for coauthors and/or cosigners, and you are interested in contributing, please contact the lead author to register your support.
Please contact Johanna Teske (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
- November 15, 2018 - Student travel grant available for Mars Extant Life: What's Next? conference
- November 16, 2018 - Assistant Professor in Planetary Sciences
- November 26, 2018 - Civil Service Job at Goddard
- December 07, 2018 - ROSES-18: Delay of Due Date, Late Data Release, and New Opportunity for Cassini Data Analysis.
- December 15, 2018 - Bateman Postdoctoral Fellowship, Yale University
- December 20, 2018 - Open Position in Planetary Geology
- December 31, 2018 - Emergence of Metabolism and Mineral-Organic Chemistry on Early Earth and Ocean Worlds
- December 31, 2018 - Assistant Professor
- December 31, 2018 - NASA SMD Seeks Volunteer Reviewers
- December 31, 2018 - Research Fellow - Microbiome Research
- January 01, 2019 - Grad Student/Postdoc Opportunities in Planetary Surface Processes at UT Austin
- January 05, 2019 - Research Associate in Planetary Science at CU Boulder
- January 15, 2019 - Research Opportunities at the University of Hawaii: Fluid Migration in Titan's Ice Shell
- February 01, 2019 - Assistant Professor of Astrobiology
- June 30, 2019 - Submitting Manuscripts to the Special Issue: "Conditions on the Early Earth >3.5Gy: Limitations for the Sources/Stability of Prebiotic Compounds and the Prebiotic/Biotic Transition"