NAS White Papers on the Exoplanet Science Strategy
Deadline: March 09, 2018
The deadline for NAS White Papers on the Exoplanet Science Strategy is March 9th, 2018.
In preparation for and as an input to the upcoming decadal surveys in astronomy and astrophysics and planetary science, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine will appoint an ad hoc committee to perform a study with the following objectives:
- Survey the status of the field of exoplanet science, including the use of current and planned facilities such as Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite, the James Webb Space Telescope, the Wide Field InfraRed Survey Telescope, and any other telescope, spacecraft, or instrument, as appropriate;
- Recommend an Exoplanet Science Strategy that outlines the key scientific questions for exoplanet science and research and related near-, medium-, and far-term measurement and technology goals. The Strategy will include the search for life in the universe as well as cross-discipline opportunities in Earth science, astrophysics, heliophysics, and planetary science.
- Discuss which of the key goals of the committee’s Strategy could be addressed via current decadal survey recommended priority activities and also identify opportunities for coordination with international partners, commercial partners, and not-for-profit partners;
In the course of conducting this study, the committee will consider and regularly consult with the concurrent study “State of the Science of Astrobiology,” in the area of assessing habitability, searching for signs of life, and other relevant areas of scientific overlap . Also the committee will not revisit or redefine the scientific priorities or mission recommendations from previous decadal surveys.
To help organize and support the exoplanet community’s response to this call, the ExoPAG EC is providing a publicly-accessible Google Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FAeUp7dssRxy3jXO20tGzH4xp0zPZ76Yg3_6pkqt75I/edit#gid=0) where community members can voluntarily provide information on the white papers they are leading, solicit community coauthorship, and/or offer their support for papers being led by others. We encourage those using the spreadsheet to include keywords, to allow others to more easily search for paper activities in their scientific areas of interest. If a lead author has indicated that they are looking for coauthors and/or cosigners, and you are interested in contributing, please contact the lead author to register your support.
Please contact Johanna Teske (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
- September 02, 2019 - Cornell Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship
- September 30, 2019 - The Moore–Simons Project on the Origin of the Eukaryotic Cell
- January 01, 2020 - Georgia Institute of Technology - Astrobiology Graduate Certificate Program
- February 14, 2020 - Interdisciplinary Consortia for Astrobiology Research - Solicitation: NNH19ZDA001N-ICAR