Call for Comments on Draft SALMON-3 Program Element Appendix: Small Innovative Missions for Planetary Exploration (SIMPLEx)
Deadline: March 14, 2018
Release Date: January 30, 2018
Comments Due Date: March 14, 2018
On January 30, 2018, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) will be releasing a draft Third Stand Alone Missions of Opportunity Notice (SALMON-3) Program Element Appendix (PEA) Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for community comments. Comments, via email to the point of contact below, are due by on March 14, 2018. Upon the release date, the full text of the draft solicitation will be available at NSPIRES (http://nspires.nasaprs.com/).
SALMON-3 is an omnibus NASA Announcement of Opportunity. The SALMON-3 AO provides a solicitation and procurement base for modest investigations, also referred to as Missions of Opportunity (MO), requiring space flight that advance the high priority science, exploration, and technology objectives of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, and the Space Technology Mission Directorate. This release of the SALMON-3 PEA includes a proposal opportunity Small Complete Mission of Opportunity for Small Innovative Missions for Planetary Exploration (SIMPLEx).
This Draft SALMON-3 PEA describes the requirements for Small Complete Mission of Opportunity proposal opportunities and documents specific requirements for SIMPLEx. Through this PEA, NASA Science Mission Directorate, Planetary Science Division (SMD/PSD) solicits investigations in which a secondary payload small spacecraft is built and launched with a primary spacecraft mission, followed by production of high quality and highly useful science data from that SmallSat, analysis of the data and publication of scientific results, and delivery of the data to an appropriate NASA archive.
Participation will be open to all categories of organizations (U.S. and non-U.S.), including educational institutions, industry, not-for-profit organizations, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers, NASA Centers, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and other Government agencies. However, for this PEA, only U.S. organizations are eligible to propose as the sole or lead organization. Non-U.S. organizations may participate as non-lead organizations collaborating with U.S. leads.
The comment period for the Draft 2018 SALMON3-PEA ends on March14, 2018.
Comments on the draft may be addressed by email to SIMPLEx Program Scientist: Ms. Doris Daou, Email: Doris.Daou@nasa.gov (subject line to read “SIMPLEx Draft AO”). Responses to all inquiries will be answered by email and also posted at the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) location of the SIMPLEx Program Acquisition website (https://soma.larc.nasa.gov/SIMPLEx/); anonymity of persons/institutions who submit questions will be preserved.
- November 26, 2018 - Civil Service Job at Goddard
- December 07, 2018 - ROSES-18: Delay of Due Date, Late Data Release, and New Opportunity for Cassini Data Analysis.
- December 15, 2018 - Bateman Postdoctoral Fellowship, Yale University
- December 20, 2018 - Open Position in Planetary Geology
- December 31, 2018 - Emergence of Metabolism and Mineral-Organic Chemistry on Early Earth and Ocean Worlds
- December 31, 2018 - Assistant Professor
- December 31, 2018 - NASA SMD Seeks Volunteer Reviewers
- December 31, 2018 - Research Fellow - Microbiome Research
- January 01, 2019 - Grad Student/Postdoc Opportunities in Planetary Surface Processes at UT Austin
- January 05, 2019 - Research Associate in Planetary Science at CU Boulder
- January 15, 2019 - Research Opportunities at the University of Hawaii: Fluid Migration in Titan's Ice Shell
- February 01, 2019 - Assistant Professor of Astrobiology
- June 30, 2019 - Submitting Manuscripts to the Special Issue: "Conditions on the Early Earth >3.5Gy: Limitations for the Sources/Stability of Prebiotic Compounds and the Prebiotic/Biotic Transition"