Call for Comments on Draft SALMON-3 Program Element Appendix: Small Innovative Missions for Planetary Exploration (SIMPLEx)
Deadline: March 14, 2018
Release Date: January 30, 2018
Comments Due Date: March 14, 2018
On January 30, 2018, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) will be releasing a draft Third Stand Alone Missions of Opportunity Notice (SALMON-3) Program Element Appendix (PEA) Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for community comments. Comments, via email to the point of contact below, are due by on March 14, 2018. Upon the release date, the full text of the draft solicitation will be available at NSPIRES (http://nspires.nasaprs.com/).
SALMON-3 is an omnibus NASA Announcement of Opportunity. The SALMON-3 AO provides a solicitation and procurement base for modest investigations, also referred to as Missions of Opportunity (MO), requiring space flight that advance the high priority science, exploration, and technology objectives of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, and the Space Technology Mission Directorate. This release of the SALMON-3 PEA includes a proposal opportunity Small Complete Mission of Opportunity for Small Innovative Missions for Planetary Exploration (SIMPLEx).
This Draft SALMON-3 PEA describes the requirements for Small Complete Mission of Opportunity proposal opportunities and documents specific requirements for SIMPLEx. Through this PEA, NASA Science Mission Directorate, Planetary Science Division (SMD/PSD) solicits investigations in which a secondary payload small spacecraft is built and launched with a primary spacecraft mission, followed by production of high quality and highly useful science data from that SmallSat, analysis of the data and publication of scientific results, and delivery of the data to an appropriate NASA archive.
Participation will be open to all categories of organizations (U.S. and non-U.S.), including educational institutions, industry, not-for-profit organizations, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers, NASA Centers, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and other Government agencies. However, for this PEA, only U.S. organizations are eligible to propose as the sole or lead organization. Non-U.S. organizations may participate as non-lead organizations collaborating with U.S. leads.
The comment period for the Draft 2018 SALMON3-PEA ends on March14, 2018.
Comments on the draft may be addressed by email to SIMPLEx Program Scientist: Ms. Doris Daou, Email: Doris.Daou@nasa.gov (subject line to read “SIMPLEx Draft AO”). Responses to all inquiries will be answered by email and also posted at the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) location of the SIMPLEx Program Acquisition website (https://soma.larc.nasa.gov/SIMPLEx/); anonymity of persons/institutions who submit questions will be preserved.
- May 31, 2018 - Postdoc Position: Physics and Chemistry of Outer Planetary (Europa), Ice Analogs, JPL
- May 31, 2018 - Postdoc Position: Isotope Analysis Instrument- Origin and Distribution of Water in the Solar System, JPL
- May 31, 2018 - Early Career Research Associate, Cornell Center for Astrophysics and Planetary Science, Cornell University
- June 01, 2018 - Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences 2017 (ROSES–2017)
- June 01, 2018 - GSA Planetary Geology Division Junior Student Advisory Member
- June 22, 2018 - ROSES-18 Amendment 13: C.23 ICEE 2 Step-1 Proposals
- August 01, 2018 - AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with Science
- August 24, 2018 - ROSES-18 Amendment 13: C.23 ICEE 2 Step-2 Proposals
- September 30, 2018 - HST Observations to Detect Plumes/Outgassing from Europa
- October 30, 2018 - Postdoctoral Researcher at Southwest Research Institute (OSIRIS-REx)