Call for Comments on Draft SALMON-3 Program Element Appendix: Small Innovative Missions for Planetary Exploration (SIMPLEx)February 01, 2018
Release Date: January 30, 2018
Comments Due Date: March 14, 2018
On January 30, 2018, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) will be releasing a draft Third Stand Alone Missions of Opportunity Notice (SALMON-3) Program Element Appendix (PEA) Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for community comments. Comments, via email to the point of contact below, are due by on March 14, 2018. Upon the release date, the full text of the draft solicitation will be available at NSPIRES (http://nspires.nasaprs.com/).
SALMON-3 is an omnibus NASA Announcement of Opportunity. The SALMON-3 AO provides a solicitation and procurement base for modest investigations, also referred to as Missions of Opportunity (MO), requiring space flight that advance the high priority science, exploration, and technology objectives of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, and the Space Technology Mission Directorate. This release of the SALMON-3 PEA includes a proposal opportunity Small Complete Mission of Opportunity for Small Innovative Missions for Planetary Exploration (SIMPLEx).
This Draft SALMON-3 PEA describes the requirements for Small Complete Mission of Opportunity proposal opportunities and documents specific requirements for SIMPLEx. Through this PEA, NASA Science Mission Directorate, Planetary Science Division (SMD/PSD) solicits investigations in which a secondary payload small spacecraft is built and launched with a primary spacecraft mission, followed by production of high quality and highly useful science data from that SmallSat, analysis of the data and publication of scientific results, and delivery of the data to an appropriate NASA archive.
Participation will be open to all categories of organizations (U.S. and non-U.S.), including educational institutions, industry, not-for-profit organizations, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers, NASA Centers, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and other Government agencies. However, for this PEA, only U.S. organizations are eligible to propose as the sole or lead organization. Non-U.S. organizations may participate as non-lead organizations collaborating with U.S. leads.
The comment period for the Draft 2018 SALMON3-PEA ends on March14, 2018.
Comments on the draft may be addressed by email to SIMPLEx Program Scientist: Ms. Doris Daou, Email: Doris.Daou@nasa.gov (subject line to read “SIMPLEx Draft AO”). Responses to all inquiries will be answered by email and also posted at the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) location of the SIMPLEx Program Acquisition website (https://soma.larc.nasa.gov/SIMPLEx/); anonymity of persons/institutions who submit questions will be preserved.
- February 23, 2018 - Tenured Full Professor Position in Astrobiology at Okayama University
- February 27, 2018 - 69th International Astronautical Congress - Call for Abstracts
- March 01, 2018 - Europlanet 2020 4th Call for Proposals for Field and Laboratory Visits
- March 01, 2018 - NASA Astrobiology Postdoctoral Program
- March 09, 2018 - NAS White Papers on the Exoplanet Science Strategy
- March 15, 2018 - Postdoctoral Position in Planetary Atmospheres at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research
- March 15, 2018 - Postdoctoral Researcher for Planetary Science Group at Curtin University
- March 16, 2018 - 2018 Josep Comas i Sola International Summer School in Astrobiology
- March 20, 2018 - 2018 NASA Graduate Research Fellowship
- March 31, 2018 - Planetary Science Section Leadership Opportunities
- March 31, 2018 - Postdoctoral Scholar in Mars Atmospheric Structure, Dynamics, and Aerosols (Caltech)
- April 01, 2018 - NASA Astrobiology Early Career Collaboration Award
- April 01, 2018 - Nominations for Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society Prizes
- April 01, 2018 - Reviewers for Planetary NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF)
- April 14, 2018 - ELSI Research Scientist Position
- April 15, 2018 - NASA Astrobiology Faculty Diversity Program (formerly Minority Institute Research Support Program)
- April 30, 2018 - Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Planetary Science at Caltech
- May 24, 2018 - NASA Exobiology Proposals (ROSES 2018)
- June 01, 2018 - Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences 2017 (ROSES–2017)
- September 30, 2018 - HST Observations to Detect Plumes/Outgassing from Europa
- October 30, 2018 - Postdoctoral Researcher at Southwest Research Institute (OSIRIS-REx)