2016 International Summer School in AstrobiologyNovember 21, 2016
The 2016 International Summer School in Astrobiology was held at the summer campus of the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo (UIMP), Palacio de la Magdalena, Santander, Spain on June 20 – 24, 2016.
This year’s theme was Earth Analog Environments and the Search for Life Beyond the Earth. The school provided an interdisciplinary examination of the chemical, physical and geological properties of potential extraterrestrial habitats and an in-depth description and analysis of sites on Earth with similar characteristics. In particular, lectures and activities considered icy satellites, rocky planets in the Solar System, extreme Earth environments, and terrestrial exoplanets.
Click here to view the 2016 Summer School final report.
Dr. Kathy Campbell (University of Auckland)
Dr. Britney Schmidt (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Dr. Gian Gabriele Ori (Universita d’Annunzio)
Dr. Ricardo Amils (Centro de Astrobiología, CSIC-INTA)
Summer School Scholars
Click here to view the list of Summer School Scholars
NAI – NASA Astrobiology Institute
CAB – Spanish Centro de Astrobiología
ESA – European Space Agency
UIMP – Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo
- 2016 - Earth Analog Environments and the Search for Life Beyond the Earth
- 2015 - The Origin of Life: From Monomers to Cells
- 2014 - Habitable Environments in the Universe
- 2013 - Biosignatures: The Fingerprints of Life
- 2012 - Origins of the Building Blocks for Life
- 2011 - Mars Exploration: Unveiling a Habitable Planet
- 2010 - Extrasolar Planets and Habitability
- 2009 - Earth's Extremophiles and Extraterrestrial Habitability