2013 Santander Summer School: Biosignatures: The Fingerprints of LifeNovember 25, 2013
The 2013 International Summer School in Astrobiology was held at the summer campus of the Spanish National University (UIMP), Santander, Spain on June 24-28, 2013.
This year’s theme was “Biosignatures: The Fingerprints of Life.” Topics covered in the school included an overview of metabolism, and the nature and preservation of environment-specific biosignatures in both the planetary surface and the atmosphere.
A week of lectures from international experts, plus round-table discussions, student projects, and a field trip to a nearby site of astrobiological interest. On-site accommodation and all meals are provided at the Santander campus of the Spanish national university, UIMP.
Dr. Victor Parro (Centro de Astrobiologia, Madrid, Spain)
Prof. Robert Blankenship (University of Washington at St. Louis)
Prof. Dawn Sumner (University of California – Davis)
Dr. Christian Hallmann (Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Germany)
Click here to view the program, PowerPoint presentations, and videos.
Summer School Scholars
Click here to view the list of Summer School Scholars
NAI – NASA Astrobiology Institute
CAB – Spanish Centro de Astrobiología
ESA – European Space Agency
UIMP – Universidad Internacional Menendez Pelayo
CIFAR – Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
NAP-Astrobio – Brazilian Nucleo de Pesquisa em Astrobiology
- 2019 - From Astrochemistry to the Origin of Life
- 2018 - Biomarkers: Signs of Life Through Space and Time
- 2017 - Exoplanet Habitability
- 2016 - Earth Analog Environments and the Search for Life Beyond the Earth
- 2015 - The Origin of Life: From Monomers to Cells
- 2014 - Habitable Environments in the Universe
- 2013 - Biosignatures: The Fingerprints of Life
- 2012 - Origins of the Building Blocks for Life
- 2011 - Mars Exploration: Unveiling a Habitable Planet
- 2010 - Extrasolar Planets and Habitability
- 2009 - Earth's Extremophiles and Extraterrestrial Habitability
- Josep Comas i Sola International Summer School in Astrobiology - Main Page