Astrophysical Frontiers in the Next Decade and Beyond: Planets, Galaxies, Black Holes, & the Transient UniverseSeptember 11, 2017
New research facilities and the scientific vision outlined by New Worlds, New Horizons have motivated the exploration of vast new discovery space, and astrophysics has seen extraordinary progress in the past decade, opening new frontiers across many fields. Astronomers have acquired the first high-resolution images of planet formation in a Solar System analog, probed the physics of energetic star-forming galaxies into the epoch of reionization, directly detected gravitational radiation from merging black holes, and discovered enigmatic new transients, such as Fast Radio Bursts.
Sponsored by the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, this conference will bring together a substantial cross-section of the astronomical community to discuss how to effectively address the highest priority astrophysical questions of our time. Plenary sessions will feature invited speakers, and three parallel sessions of contributed presentations will address (1) Exoplanet and Protoplanetary Disk Origins, (2) Galaxy Evolution Mechanisms, and (3) Black Holes & Transient Phenomena. Each session will canvas recent observational and theoretical progress, address key unanswered questions, and motivate future research directions in the context of next-generation facilities that would span the electromagnetic spectrum, including a Next Generation Very Large Array, the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, 30m-class optical-infrared telescopes, the Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, and the Square Kilometre Array.
Location: Boulder, CO, US
- January 22 - 2018 EON-ELSI Winter School
- February 12 - Water During Planet Formation and Evolution
- February 17 - Women in Planetary Science and Exploration (WPSE 2018)
- February 20 - NASA Outer Planets Assessment Group (OPAG)
- February 25 - 2nd Recontres du Vietnam on Exoplanetary Science
- February 27 - 2nd COSPAR Workshop on Refining the Planetary Protection Requirements for Human Missions
- March 04 - Rencontres Exobiologiques Pour Doctorants (RED ’18) Astrobiology Introductory Course
- March 11 - Science with the Atacama Pathfinder Experiment (APEX2018)
- March 19 - 49th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference
- March 19 - Life on Earth and Beyond: Emergence, Survivability and Impact on the Environment