5th ELSI International Symposium: Expanding Views on the Emergence of the BiosphereJanuary 09, 2017 / Posted by: Miki Huynh
The 5th ELSI International Symposium, Expanding Views on the Emergence of the Biosphere, takes place January 11-13, 2017 in Tokyo, Japan. Talks will be webcast via SAGANet.org.
The Earth-Life Science Institute (ELSI) presents its 5th International Symposium: Expanding Views on the Emergence of the Biosphere.
January 11th-13th, 9AM – 5PM (GMT+9)
Earth-Life Science Institute, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
Conference website: www.elsi5sympo.org
The emergence of a biosphere on Earth, and possibly elsewhere in the universe, remains one of the great unsolved scientific questions. Research into the origin and subsequent evolution of life takes place across an array of scientific disciplines, including but not limited to planetary sciences, astronomy, theoretical physics, chemistry and biology. The goal of this Symposium is to provide a forum for diverse perspectives and to unify the fragmentary knowledge stemming from single disciplines. Accordingly, the program features talks and discussions aimed at understanding the nature of life, the constraints of habitability, early Earth environments, systems chemistry, and the structure and attributes of early life. The Symposium will gather eminent investigators to exchange ideas, as well as provide opportunities for early-career scientists to present their findings in a poster format.
Remote Participation: All talks will be webcast via SAGANet.org. To join, go to: http://saganet.org/page/saganlive
Source: [Earth-Life Science Institute]
- Could Shallow Biospheres Exist Beneath the Icy Ceilings of Ocean Moons?
- New Clues to Compositions of TRAPPIST-1 Planets
- Does Titan's Hydrocarbon Soup Hold a Recipe for Life?
- Noah Planavsky Selected for the 2018 F. W. Clarke Award
- Signs of Warmth in Mars' Past
- Release of Annual Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences 2018 (ROSES–2018) Omnibus NASA Research Announcement (NRA)
- 2018 Josep Comas i Sola International Summer School in Astrobiology - Applications Open
- Ocean Worlds 3 Meeting
- NAI Director Chats Podcast: Dr. Penny Boston and Dr. Jim Green
- Astrobiology Australasia