Astrobiology Chair Nathaniel Comfort Discusses the RNA World with Pioneering ScientistsAugust 16, 2016 / Written by: Miki Huynh
Nathaniel Comfort, Walter Gilbert, W. Ford Doolittle, Ray Gesteland, and George E. Fox discuss the origins of the RNA World hypothesis at the Kluge Center. The webcast was recorded March 17, 2016. Source: Library of Congress
Back in March 2016, science historian and current Blumberg Chair in Astrobiology, Dr. Nathaniel Comfort, led a program at the Kluge Center entitled “The Origins of the RNA World,” bringing into the conversation four scientists involved in the pivotal shift in origins of life research: Dr. Walter Gilbert, Dr. W. Ford Doolittle, Dr. Ray Gesteland, and Dr. George E. Fox. The webcast is available for streaming.
Comfort later spoke with Dan Turello at the Library of Congress, touching on the history of the RNA World hypothesis, its influence on current research on the last universal common ancestor (LUCA), and how the RNA World pushes forward synthetic biology and modern genomics. He also highlighted some of the perks of being Chair with full access to the Library collections. The interview is available at the Library of Congress website.
A future astrobiology symposium hosted by Comfort is planned for September 15. More information about “The Emergence of Life: On the Earth, in the Lab, and Elsewhere” can be found at: http://www.loc.gov/loc/kluge/news/originslife.html.
To learn more about the Baruch S. Blumberg NASA/Library of Congress Chair in Astrobiology program, go to: http://www.loc.gov/loc/kluge/fellowships/NASA-astrobiology.html.
Source: [Library of Congress]
- Could Shallow Biospheres Exist Beneath the Icy Ceilings of Ocean Moons?
- New Clues to Compositions of TRAPPIST-1 Planets
- Does Titan's Hydrocarbon Soup Hold a Recipe for Life?
- Noah Planavsky Selected for the 2018 F. W. Clarke Award
- Signs of Warmth in Mars' Past
- Release of Annual Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences 2018 (ROSES–2018) Omnibus NASA Research Announcement (NRA)
- 2018 Josep Comas i Sola International Summer School in Astrobiology - Applications Open
- Ocean Worlds 3 Meeting
- NAI Director Chats Podcast: Dr. Penny Boston and Dr. Jim Green
- Astrobiology Australasia