No-one knows when life first established a firm foothold on Earth. Ask around in the scientific community, though, and you’ll probably hear that the surface of early Earth, before about 3.8 billion years ago, was too hostile an environment for even a lowly microbe to set up shop.
The main problem, as the conventional argument goes, was that between around 4.1 and 3.8 billion years ago, Earth was constantly being bombarded by comets and asteroids. The disastrous effects of these impacts would have rendered the Earth’s surface uninhabitable.
Not necessarily so, say a team of astrobiologists who ...November 27, 2000 / Posted by: Shige Abe
Nathalie Cabrol, who has spent many long hours poring over images of Mars taken from orbiting spacecraft, believes those images contain convincing evidence that lakes were present on Mars in the recent past.
“Recent” requires some definition when you’re talking to geologists. In this case, it means some time in the past half a billion years or so, give or take a couple hundred million. There are no lakes present on the Martian surface today.
Cabrol, a member of the NASA Astrobiology Institute (NAI) and a principal investigator with the SETI Institute, works at NASA’s Ames Research Center in ...November 27, 2000 / Posted by: Shige Abe
- March 24 - Abstract Submission Deadline for 6th International Symposium on Chemosynthesis-Based Ecosystems (CBE6)
- March 24 - Abstract Submission Deadline for International Conference on Mars Aeronomy 2017
- March 30 - Application Deadline: Europlanet 2020 Infrastructures
- March 31 - Early Bird Registration Deadline for Robotic Telescopes Student Research and Education Conference
- March 31 - Abstract Submission Deadline for Kepler & K2 Science Conference IV: Legacy & Scion
- March 31 - Application Deadline: NASA Space Technology Mission Directorate Early Career Faculty (ECF)
- March 31 - Application Deadline: ROSES 2016 Fellowships for Early Career Researchers
- April 1 - Abstract Submission Deadline for The 4th International Conference of Geobiology — Rocks, life and climate
- April 1 - Deadline for Merit and Need-Based Student and Early-Career Grants for Goldschmidt 2017
- April 1 - Abstract Submission Deadline for Goldschmidt 2017
- April 1 - Application Deadline: NASA Astrobiology Early Career Collaboration Award
- April 3 - Financial Assistance Deadline for NASA's 29th Annual Planetary Science Summer Seminar
- April 3 - Application Deadline for NASA's 29th Annual Planetary Science Summer Seminar
- April 3 - Abstract Submission Deadline for Robotic Telescopes Student Research and Education Conference
- April 4 - Indication of Interest Deadline for The Fifth International Planetary Dunes Workshop: From the Bottom of the Oceans to the Outer Limits of the Solar System
- April 4 - Registration Deadline for Radio Exploration of Planetary Habitability
- April 6 - Abstract Submission Deadline for Molecules in space: Linking the interstellar medium to (exo)planets
- April 11 - Abstract Submission Deadline for The XVIIIth International Conference on the Origin of Life
- NAI 2014 Annual Science Report